Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Does anyone read the classics.

ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭
At the moment I am reading Love and Freindship and Other Youthful Writings, by Jane Austen. (By the way that is not a misspelling in Freindship. )
These little grey cells. It is up to them.

Every murderer is probably somebody's old friend.

Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.

(Agatha Christie)

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the Classics, I watch a lot of Period Drama's but never read them, I assume you mean The Bronte's, Jane Austin, Mrs Gaskell and Trollope.
  • I constantly reread four of the six Austen novels (Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Persuasion). I haven't read "Love and Freindship" - is it good? I also read and reread some of Dickens' books, Thackeray (especially Vanity Fair and Henry Esmond) and Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. I was introduced to books from the 19th century by my mother when she was taking a course in 19th century English Lit. at the Hebrew U., and have been grateful to her for it ever since. And I'm a Shakespeare Junkie... 

AC read a lot of the classics, and here and there it shows in her books -  e.g. Inspector Craddock thinking Phillipa in "A Murder is Announced" would make a good Rosalind (Phillipa is wearing trousers and climbing trees, and Rosalind in "As you like it" dresses as a man). 

• Banks1957Banks1957 New York City Fan
    Yes I read the classics.  I have read most of the novels by the Bronte sisters, and a great deal of novels by Charles Dickens.  I also like Dostoyevsky, particularly "Crime and Punishment."  I recently read Les Miserables.  I now want to concentrate on mysteries because they have more suspense.  Of course Agatha Christie is the master so I chose her before all other mystery writers. I just read the Moving Finger which just happened to pick up in a thrift store.  I am now hooked.  I read another one by her called Murder in the Library but didn't like it as much as the first.