Does anyone read the classics.

ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭
At the moment I am reading Love and Freindship and Other Youthful Writings, by Jane Austen. (By the way that is not a misspelling in Freindship. )
These little grey cells. It is up to them.

Every murderer is probably somebody's old friend.

Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.

(Agatha Christie)

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the Classics, I watch a lot of Period Drama's but never read them, I assume you mean The Bronte's, Jane Austin, Mrs Gaskell and Trollope.
  • I constantly reread four of the six Austen novels (Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Persuasion). I haven't read "Love and Freindship" - is it good? I also read and reread some of Dickens' books, Thackeray (especially Vanity Fair and Henry Esmond) and Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. I was introduced to books from the 19th century by my mother when she was taking a course in 19th century English Lit. at the Hebrew U., and have been grateful to her for it ever since. And I'm a Shakespeare Junkie... 

AC read a lot of the classics, and here and there it shows in her books -  e.g. Inspector Craddock thinking Phillipa in "A Murder is Announced" would make a good Rosalind (Phillipa is wearing trousers and climbing trees, and Rosalind in "As you like it" dresses as a man). 

• Banks1957Banks1957 New York City Fan
    Yes I read the classics.  I have read most of the novels by the Bronte sisters, and a great deal of novels by Charles Dickens.  I also like Dostoyevsky, particularly "Crime and Punishment."  I recently read Les Miserables.  I now want to concentrate on mysteries because they have more suspense.  Of course Agatha Christie is the master so I chose her before all other mystery writers. I just read the Moving Finger which just happened to pick up in a thrift store.  I am now hooked.  I read another one by her called Murder in the Library but didn't like it as much as the first.