Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Book paper quality

Books are not cheap.  I am fed up of buying a book only to find that the pages go brown within a few weeks.  Okay, so the book can be read before this but if I want to pass it on or read it again it is very off-putting.  Does anyone agree?  Should we petition the booksellers?

Comments

• I think part of the problem is that a lot of people read from kindles, tablets or I-phones, so that publishers of new publications or reprints have a smaller group of clients, and just don't bother. I admit I pick up a paper book not oftener than once a month.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I start reading Murder Mysteries like that I want to be found Bludgoened to Death in a Pool of Blood in a Locked Room with no Windows
  • I also felt like that, and I know a lot of people (especially of my generation) who say they need the feel of a book and the smell of paper and ink, in order to enjoy reading. However, electronic reading has advantages that to me gave a new life to reading - I can determine the size of the letters, the width of the margins and the space between the lines, and for a person with a learning disability and failing eyesight, this is a real gift. It is easy for "real readers" to sneer at us, but sometimes a screen is the difference between being able to read and not being able to read.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it is far more basic, I like getting a book opening it reading it and putting it back with my collection of other Books, If everybody just read Books using a Kindle the people who make Bookmarks would be out of Work and I like putting Bookmarks in books.
  • I love decorative bookmarks! but if it is a question of giving up bookmarks or giving up reading - give me my kindle!
  • Linnet RidgewayLinnet Ridgeway Davao City, Philippines Investigator
    I do admit I don’t like books  who’s  pages turn brown because of  time. Though I do love the smell of old books.