What Poirot novels do you think would be better suited to Miss Marple?

HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England ✭✭✭
I read certain Poirots recently and realised how much better suited Miss Marple would have been as the detective.
Which ones do you think fall under this category?
(Before Christie purists, one of which I am, pick up the pitchforks - this is just speculation!)

Comments

• I Think some Miss marple novels Would be more Interesting with Poirot in them. The mirror crack'd, for example, would Be quite good (set Outside st mary mead) with Poirot in it.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any would be BETTER suited but I can see her at the Hotel in Evil Under The Sun and at Meadowbanks as a Governer who has to then solve a Murder, perhaps if you said which ones you think would be better suited to Miss Marple we can agree or disagree, the 2 which were turned into Films with Margaret Rutherford which had Poirot would have been good with Miss Marple Initially but I like the Films

In some ways I am a Purist but not so much as I cant enjoy a Great bit of Hypothesis
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I agree, @Tommy_A_Jones, but I also think some Poirots, such as The Clocks, could have been adapted to include Miss Marple. She could have been interested in one of the girls at Miss Martindale's (Edna, for example) - as she was in A Pocketfull of Rye - or an acquaintance of Millicent Pebmarsh (from volunteering at charity works at the blind institute [sounds like a Miss Marpleish thing to do, doesn't it?])

Or perhaps Miss Marple could have been involved in Cards on the Table as, a friend of Mrs Lorrimer or of one of the alleged murder victims (SPOILER), Anne Meredith's former employer perhaps.

What do you think?
    I think it far more likely that the Girl who runs out of the Beaurau Initially is attatched in some way rather than Edna, I might be wrong I don't recall 2 MM Books starting the same way like Poirot's did

With regard to Cards On The Table, I don't remember her being a Bridge Player but It would have added symmetry but would she have got on with Ariadne?

• HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England ✭✭✭
    I thought Mrs Oliver could be replaced by Mrs Bantry...
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    In Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks, we learn that Agatha originally envisioned Death on the Nile as a Miss Marple novel, but she eventually decided to make it a Poirot book.
  • @GKCfan, I was going to mention that but you beat me to the punch!

I'm glad Christie decided to have Poirot in it instead. With a high body count, I just can't see Miss Marple in the midst of all the bloodshed. A Caribbean Mystery suits Miss Marple better. Now maybe if there was a Mr. Rafiel in Nile than maybe . . . . but knowing what I know about Death On The Nile after the fact, Poirot is a better choice. 

“People in the dark are quite different, aren’t they?”  ― A Murder Is Announced 
    That would have been a Great Idea HerculeAndAchille or if not Dolly Dane Calthorp