Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

The Secret of Chimneys

EllesseEllesse Vancouver, Canada Fan
edited August 2017 in Non-series novels
Spoiler alert: I spoil the ending.

I think I may have a problem: when there are too many "titled" characters in a novel, I get confused.  If everyone were merely named Fred, Eliza, Samuel and Bundle, I'd have no problem following.  I had some trouble "following", in this novel.

In the end, I think I am being asked to believe that the main male "protagonist" (Anthony) was the King of H-vakia, years ago... supposedly assassinated, along with his wife... and now he's at Chimneys, suspecting the "French governess" as being a central figure embroiled in the mysterious plot of the letters and the memoirs... yet, all along, he fails to recognize her as his former WIFE?

I didn't even finish the last ten pages of the book.  If I'm being asked to believe the above situation: I am pretty insulted.  And I'm pretty sure I'm being asked to believe it.

Am I?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what you mean with your Problem but in a different way I jave a difficulty if 2 or more Characters look alike or have the same colour hair, In Towards Zero if I remember rightly 3 Characters are the same height or build, It didn't occur to me that 1 might have a different colour hair (According to the Adaptation anyway), I get very confused when watching something like Granchester, Foyle's War etc when 2 girls are Brunettes.
  • MirandaMiranda England Investigator
    Anthony is the brother of the King who was assassinated.    He never met his sister-in-law because he was in Paris pretending to be a communist at the time.