Best David Suchet Adaptation in your opinion

purplebekir88purplebekir88 United States of America Investigator
I recently watched every episode of Agatha Christie's Poirot and I have to say I really enjoyed most of it.My favorites were Yellow Iris,The Chocolate Box,Five Little Pigs(My favorite of the bunch),Sad Cypress,The Hollow,After the Funeral,Mrs McGinty's Dead,Third Girl,Hallowe'en Party,The Clocks,Elephants Can Remember,Dead Man's Folly,and Curtain.The only adaptation I found abysmal was Card's on the Table which is one of my favorite Christie's.
Would love to hear what your favorites are.

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you, except Curtain and Third Girl (but I'm not very found of this book). I didn't like it very much. 
    I also like The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Lord Edgware Dies very much.  
    I think the short stories adaptations were much better than the novels. For instance, Appointment with Death, Cards on the table (the worst one, this marvelous book deserves a better adaptation), The Labors of Hercules were awful.

• edited June 24
    tudes said:
    The Labors of Hercules were awful.

The Labours of Hercules should have been done as a series of 1-hour episodes and yet still remain with the same concept that Christie came up with for this collection. It's like they wanted to rush and get the series over with just to say that they got it done. A lot of the later episodes could have been done much better than they were. Quality trumps quantity in my opinion. There were a small number of gems from the later series but there could have been so much more if the quality weren't so uneven. From the later series the best ones were: Five Little Pigs, Sad Cypress, The Hollow, After The Funeral. The worst ones, the really worst ones were Appointment With Death, Murder On The Orient Express, Taken At The Flood, The Labours of Hercules, The Mystery of the Blue Train. Three Act Tragedy, Halloween Party, Cards On The Table (the beginning was okay but the ending and the plot twist change is atrocious!) and Curtain (could have been SO MUCH better, considering this is the LAST story in the series!) are subpar. I will have to watch Mrs. McGinty's Dead and Cat Among The Pigeons again to recollect my memories of my opinions of them. I still need to watch The Clocks, Elephants Can Remember, Third Girl, Dead Man's Folly and The Big Four -- this will be my first time watching these.

“People in the dark are quite different, aren’t they?”  ― A Murder Is Announced 
  • purplebekir88purplebekir88 United States of America Investigator
    I forgot Appointment With Death it was also abysmal
  • I forgot Appointment With Death it was also abysmal
    I can't see why they didn't remain faithful to the book. What made the book so memorable is that first line, "You do see, don't you, that she's got to be killed?" and I don't recall that line in the film. Shame on them!

The Mystery of the Blue Train, what was that? The story isn't so good, but the movie is a waste of time and money. It's pointless.
  • tudes said:
    I agree with you, except Curtain and Third Girl (but I'm not very found of this book). I didn't like it very much. 
    I think the short stories adaptations were much better than the novels. For instance, Appointment with Death, Cards on the table (the worst one, this marvelous book deserves a better adaptation), The Labors of Hercules were awful.

I like Lord Edgware Dies but looking back now, did we really need the chase scene? I noticed a lot of the episodes in the series had chase scenes. Maybe if they weren't done so much I wouldn't have had a problem with this one. But other then that it was a good film. I do have to say that although Helen Grace was great as Lady Edgware, I now believe that Faye Dunaway from the 80s version with Peter Ustinov, is a bit more like the character from the book. 

tudes said:

I like Lord Edgware Dies but looking back now, did we really need the chase scene? I noticed a lot of the episodes in the series had chase scenes. Maybe if they weren't done so much I wouldn't have had a problem with this one. But other then that it was a good film. I do have to say that although Helen Grace was great as Lady Edgware, I now believe that Faye Dunaway from the 80s version with Peter Ustinov, is a bit more like the character from the book. 
    You're right. The chase scene is a problem. It's so unnecessary. But I think it's a great movie. Much better than others adaptations. 
    Although I think Suchet is "the Poirot", I like much more the 80s versions with Ustinov. The new versions, even the good ones (not all of them, of course), they have so many things happening at the same time. It's so far from the original story and it's unnecessary. 
    I like them both (Helen Grace and Faye Dunaway), but when I image Lady Edgware, it's Faye Dunaway that comes to my mind.
  • CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States ✭✭✭
    Five Little Pigs and The ABC Murders are the first that come to mind. They were both tonally consistent and provided great acting, great writing, and great pacing at no expense. I don't think their are any that are bad per se, but are bland or don't work well. 

A problem with the later episodes is the confined running time. In Dead Man's Folly, none of the characters really get to develop enough to form a connection with. Some of the earlier episodes are extended, and the short stories can be told in half the amount of time they gave the series then, which coerced the writers into adding unnecessary plot lines, forced humor, or complicating it to extremes. 

However, they usually all showcase top-notch acting and when they follow the source material, they can entail an entertaining experience. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

I think the whose of the last series was a waste of time and Pointless, OK it was nice Zoe Wanemaker had one last HURRAH in Dead Man's Folly and it was nice to see Philip ackson again and the woman who played Miss Lemon (Sorry Can't remember her First name) and It was nice to see Hugh Fraser again but I could have lived Happily without those Episodes and Appointment With Death, Murder On The Orient Express, Five Little Pigs and Sad Cypress I could have lived without.

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

it.I would like to Add Cards On The Table, As they did such a bad job I would have rather they hadn't adapted one of my Favourite Christie's if it meant ruining