International Agatha Christie Festival 2017

Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK ✭✭✭
Details about the five day festival have begun to emerge. Dates : 13 - 17 September. A month later than proposed, the full programme has yet to be published, but there will be poets, writers, directors and providing workshops, talk, and exhibitions, with links to Agatha Christie, based at Torre Abbey, and the nearby Grand Hotel Torquay. http://www.iacf-uk.org/

Comments

• Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK ✭✭✭
    Gradually more and more information is coming out about this year's Festival to be held in September. It was a big shock to see that the tickets were going to cost £90 and £150, and a relief to see that they decided to make £25 day tickets available. However, once again they have changed their mind and it seems that individual event tickets will be on sale - no confirmed date for this to happen, but expected by the end of July. 

The programme does seem very strange, with very few activities actually related to Agatha Christie, rather that the five days is a cultural awareness festival. My question is, will the Agatha Christie fans attend the festival? Interested to hear your thoughts.
  • JonathanJonathan Honiton, England Fan
    I attended the festival over the weekend, and I must say it was a huge disappointment. The organisers clearly had no real affinity with their subject, and the vast majority of events had only the most tendentious link to Agatha Christie or her books. It seems the director used the festival as a platform for promoting arty farty pet themes and avant garde (talentless?) local artists and musicians. Among the 'treats' was Arabic poetry translation, Egyptian documentary films of the 50s, wearable sculptures, meditation, dance, and a 19-hour modernist piano recital. It was utter self-indulgent drivel. Not surprisingly it was poorly attended, with handfuls of genuine Agatha Christie fans wandering aimlessly about wondering what to do and what to make of it all. If this year's debacle hasn't killed off the festival for good, they're going to have to have a total re-think next time round. They could start by getting someone on board who actually knows and loves Agatha Christie.